What is mandatory in the car in Austria?
If you go on holiday to Austria by car please keep in mind that you have to take a number of items with you. We list the mandatory products for you. Not only for cars but also for drivers of a motorcycle and moped.
Mandatory in the car: checklist Austria
Required in the car
- Warning triangle – It is mandatory to have a warning triangle in the car. In the event of a breakdown or accident, the warning triangle must be placed at a sufficient distance behind the vehicle at no more than 1 m from the edge of the road (even if the hazard warning lights are switched on).
- Safety vest – It is mandatory to have a safety vest in the car. The driver is obliged to wear a safety vest in the event of a breakdown or an accident outside the built-up area. We advise drivers to bring a safety vest for all passengers in the car. Within Europe, safety vests must comply with the EN471 standard (fluorescent yellow, orange or red and provided with retro-reflecting strips).
- First aid kit – It is mandatory to have a first aid kit in the car. The first aid kit must be sturdy and dirt-resistant.
- A fire extinguisher and spare bulbs are not required.
- Note: When renting a car, always check that the required equipment (warning triangle, first aid kit and safety vest) is present.
Mandatory on the motorcycle
- First aid kit – All motorcyclists must have a sturdy and dirt-resistant first aid kit.
- Only for motorcycles with a sidecar and trikes is it compulsory to take a warning triangle with you. In the event of a breakdown or accident, the triangle must be placed at a sufficient distance behind the vehicle at no more than 1 m from the edge of the road.
- Safety vest – Motorcyclists are advised to take a safety vest with them and to wear this outside the built-up area in the event of a breakdown or accident.
Mandatory on moped, light moped and speed pedelec
- First aid kit – Drivers of a moped, light moped or speedpedelec must have a sturdy and dirt-resistant first aid kit.
- Wheel chocks – At least one wheel chock must be present in a vehicle with a permitted maximum mass of more than 3500 kg and in a car or motor home with a caravan or trailer behind it with a maximum permitted total weight of more than 750 kg.
- Replacement glasses – Taking reserve glasses in Austria is not mandatory, but we advise drivers with a driving license stating that they wear glasses or contact lenses (restriction code 01), to take spare glasses with them, also for a possible discussion with the police on the spot.
Here you will find more information about Austria.