Paying in Belgium, what about that? Are there ATMs just like in your home country? What is the price level and how much do you give as a tip after a cozy drink or dinner? On this page you will find everything about paying in Belgium.
- Euro (EUR)
- Debit cards (both debit and credit cards) are accepted almost everywhere.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- Belgium has plenty of ATMs.
- Withdrawing money with a bank card is not always free in the euro zone. ATM operators are allowed to charge fees per transaction, either a fixed amount or a percentage. These costs should be indicated on the ATM or on the screen, however, only a few ATMs indicate the exact costs before you enter the PIN. Ask your bank which ATMs are free of charge.
- Current information about ATMs in a particular locality can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator and visa.com/atmlocator.
Payment tips in Belgium
- Bring a variety of payment methods and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
- Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
Contacless payment with iPhone or Android in Belgium
- In Belgium you can pay contactless with a telephone. Ask your bank for more information. Up-to-date information about paying with a mobile phone can also be found at support.apple.com/apple-pay and support.google.com/pay.
Pricing level in Belgium
- Budget overnight: from € 35.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 85.
- Simple meal: from € 22.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 78.
- Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 10.>/li>
- Cup of coffee: from € 2.70.
- Belgium! Beer: from € 4.
Tipping in Belgium
- Service charge is included in the hotel or restaurant bill.
- A tip of 5% is appreciated for good service. You can also round the amount up or leave the small change.
- You can round the amount for taxi drivers.