Croatia Getting Around
Italy has various ferry services to Croatia. On this page you will also find everything about renting a car in Croatia. In short: here you will find everything about transport in Croatia!
Car hire Croatia
Rental locations Croatia
- Cars can be rented at airports and in major cities.
Rental car booking
- It is recommended to book a rental car in advance in the holiday season (July-August), and also in time.
- It is usually also cheaper to book online before the trip.
- It is possible to rent an ‘all-inclusive’ car in Croatia via Sunny Cars. You can check the availability of rental cars in the search engine and book your car hire of choice:
More information on car rentals can be found here.
- In order to rent a car in Croatia, the driver must have a valid driver’s license.
- Often the driver must be in possession of the driving license for at least 1 or 2 years.
- The driver must usually be at least 21 years old.
- Sometimes the age limit is lower or higher depending on the rental company or the type of vehicle.
- Drivers under the age of 25 often have to pay a young driver’s fee at the local car rental company.
- The insurance can also be more expensive for young drivers.
- Sometimes, drivers over the age of 70 have to pay a senior allowance.
- Please note that a maximum age of 80 years may apply.
- A car can only be rented with a credit card (with pin code) in the name of the main driver. Cash is rarely accepted as a deposit.
- No special border document is required for driving in Croatia (other than a valid driving license)
- At border crossings between Croatia and Montenegro and between Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, no special border document is required, although some rental companies may charge a fee.
- During winter time the rental car should be equipped with the right winter equipment. In the winter period (and in any case from 15 November to 15 April), driving on winter tires or using snow chains is mandatory on certain roads.
Ferry services Croatia
Ferry services from Italy to Croatia
Destination / sailing time / shipping company
- Ancona – Split / ± 10 hour / Jadrolinija
- Ancona – Split / ± 9 hours / SNAV
- Ancona – Stari / Grad ± 14 hours / Jadrolinija
- Ancona – Zadar / ± 6 hours / Jadrolinija
- Bari – Dubrovnik / ± 10 hours / Jadrolinija
Information and tickets
Note: If you want to make telephone calls or use the internet on a ferry, keep an eye on your data and call charges. Usually you get an SMS when you can not be connected to a local EU network and information about the (high!) rates for a maritime satellite connection. On land (or close to the coast) the rates from your EU bundle may apply.
Airports and plane information Croatia
- Zagreb: zagreb-airport.hr.
- Dubrovnik: airport-dubrovnik.hr.
- Pula: airport-pula.hr.
- Split: split-airport.hr.
- Zadar: zadar-airport.hr.
- Croatia Airlines: croatiaairlines.com.
In case of cancellation, transfer, delay or baggage problems you can appeal to the European Regulation 261/2004.