Croatia Traffic Fines
Penalty settlement Croatia
- Although the police may impose a fine when a traffic violation is detected, you are not obliged to pay the fine on the spot.
- The ticket must in any case be paid within 8 days after receipt (at bank or post office).
- Sometimes ‘immediate action’ is taken and someone has to appear in court within a few days, often even the next day. The defendant is entitled to bring a lawyer.
Driver’s license points
- Croatia has a penalty point system that also applies to foreigners.
- If a driver of a motor vehicle gets 9 points in 2 years time, his driving license is taken for 9 to 12 months. For foreigners it is registered in the driving license.
- If a driving disqualification or driving ban is imposed on the basis of this system, this only applies in Croatia.
- By way of a deposit, the police can take the passport of the offender until the fine has been paid.
- In the event of an arrest, for example after a traffic accident, your embassy can provide information about the administration of justice and further proceedings.
Fines / Penalty rates
These amounts are indications and may in practice be higher or lower, depending on the circumstances in which the traffic violation was committed.
Within the city area
- Exceeding to 10 km / h: from HRK 300.
- Exceeding 10 to 20 km / h: from HRK 500.
- Overrun of 20 to 30 km / h: from HRK 1,000.
- Exceeding from 30 to 50 km / h: HRK 3,000-7,000.
- Exceeding from 50 km / h: from HRK 5,000 and possibly a cancellation of the driving license.
Outside the city area
- Exceeding from 10 to 30 km / h: from HRK 500.
- Exceeding from 30 to 50 km / h: from HRK 2,000.
- Exceeding from 50 km / h: from HRK 10,000-20,000 and possibly a cancellation of the driving license.
Drive through red light
- HRK 3,000-7,000.
- In combination with danger (eg increased speed, not stopping at 2 or more traffic lights): HRK 10,000-20,000.
Violation of overtaking prohibition
- HRK 700-2,000.
- HRK 300-500.
- In the disabled parking space HRK 700.
Do not give priority
- From HRK 2,000.
Driving without a seat belt
- From HRK 1,000.
Use mobile phone while driving
- From HRK 1,000.
Driving and alcohol
- Up to 0.5 ‰: From HRK 700.
- From 0.5 to 1.0 ‰: From HRK 3,000-5,000 and / or cancellation of the driving license.
- From 1.0 ‰ to 1.5 ‰: From HRK 5,000-15,000 and / or cancellation of the driving license.
- More than 1.5 ‰ or in case of refusal of alcohol test: From HRK 10,000-20,000 and / or cancellation of the driving license.
- Driving and drugs: From HRK 10,000-20,000 and / or a custodial sentence of up to 60 days.
Not carrying low beam during the day
- From HRK 300. Only applies from the last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in March.
Not holding a boat vignette
- Not having a vignette for a boat is punished with a hefty fine. This also applies to sailing within a distance of 300 m off the coast.
- The amount of the fine is unknown.