Paying in Finland
Paying in Finland, how about that? Are there ATMs in Finland just like in your home country? What is the price level in Finland, and how about giving tips in Finland after a nice dinner or drinks on a cozy terrace? On this page you will find everything about paying in Finland.
- Euro (EUR)
- Debit cards (both debit and credit cards) are accepted almost everywhere. These are generally preferable to cash.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- Finland has plenty of ATMs (Otto or Otto Piste).
- Note: Withdrawing money with a bank card is not always free in the euro zone. ATM operators are allowed to charge fees per transaction, either a fixed amount or a percentage. These charges should be indicated on the ATM or on the screen, however, only a few ATMs report the exact charges before entering the PIN. Ask your bank which ATMs are free. As far as we know, withdrawing money in Finland is from ATMs marked ‘Otto.’ (Otto followed by a red dot) Free.
- Current information about ATMs in a particular locality can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator
- Bring a variety of payment methods with you and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
- Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
- In Finland you can pay contactless with a telephone. Ask your bank for more information.
- Budget overnight: from € 35.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 120.
- Simple meal: from € 12.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 65.
- Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 12.
- Cup of coffee: from € 3.
- Beer: from € 5.
- Service charge is included in the hotel or restaurant bill. For an excellent service, the amount can be rounded up.
- Guides expect a tip.
- It is not common to tip taxi drivers, but you can round the amount.