Finland weather and climate
- Finland is a country for all seasons, with a preference for the period from August to early September.
- In summer, the days in northern Finland are extra long.
- In winter you can enjoy cross-country skiing, but also alpine skiing.
- Bring light, but also warm clothing for changing weather conditions. A raincoat or poncho can come in handy. You need a (fleece) sweater or cardigan for the cool evenings.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes.
- Finland has a moderate continental climate.
- Summers are drier and warmer, but also shorter than in the Netherlands.
- Spring and fall are short.
- February is considered the coldest month of the year.
- July is the hottest month, but this is also the mosquito month.
- The onset of autumn in Lapland starts around the beginning of September. Here you will discover a beautiful color splendor.
- The water temperature of the great lakes in July is 18-20 degrees in the south and 16-18 degrees in the north.
- The water temperature of smaller lakes is generally higher.
Weather in Helsinki
Here you will find more information about Finland.