France toll – tariff classes in France
- France uses tariff classes for calculating tolls on French motorways. A normal passenger car falls in class 1, a car with behind it a caravan in class 2. See below exactly how the tariff classes are, so you can calculate the toll costs for your trip to France.
- Most motorways in France are toll roads.
- There are also some toll bridges and toll tunnels.
- The categories used in France are valid on all toll roads.
France toll categories
Detailed information about the categories can be found on autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm
Category 1: cars, vans, motorhomes or vans without and with trailer where the highest point of the vehicle or combination is a maximum of 2 meters, measured from the ground (antenna, ski box, roof box or roof rack with bicycles, surf boards or boat not included).
Category 2: cars, vans, motorhomes or vans without and with trailer where the highest point of the vehicle or combination is more than 2 meters, but no more than 3 meters, measured from the ground (antenna, ski box, roof box or roof rack with bicycles, surf boards or boat not included).
Category 3: motorhomes, buses and commercial vehicles on 2 axles with a height of more than 3 meters or a maximum permitted mass (to be found on the registration certificate) of more than 3500 kg.
Category 4: vehicles on 3 axles or more, with a height of more than 3 meters or with a permitted maximum mass (to be found on the registration certificate) of more than 3500 kg; vehicle combinations with a height of more than 3 meters; vehicle combinations of which the towing vehicle has a maximum authorized mass of more than 3500 kg.
Category 5: Engines and trikes (also with sidecar or trailer).
France toll – disabled people
- Cars or vans that belong to category 2, but that have been demonstrably adjusted and fitted out by means of a registration on a license plate or driving license for disabled persons are counted under category 1.
- The vehicle should preferably be clearly visible from a disabled parking card or wheelchair sticker.
- A European disability card must be shown.
- At the toll booths registration with the required papers is possible at the manned toll booths. With automatic toll gates, assistance can be requested via the information button. To prevent discussion at the tollbooth it can be useful to bring a print with the information for disabled people. A PDF for this is available on autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm (click on ‘Télécharger le dépliant détaillé’).
- Campers with a maximum permitted mass of more than 3500 kg are always included in category 3.
France toll – roof boxes
- Accessories such as a roof box or roof rack do not affect the calculation of the total height and the tariff. This is also the case with automatic toll gates.
- Should the wrong tariff be calculated, it is possible to enable assistance via the intercom at the ticket machine. In the event of the recovery of any amount that may have been overpaid, the relevant toll company can also be contacted (also afterwards). The contact details are on the ticket. It is important to send the ticket as proof to the toll company.