Italy traffic fines
The Italian Traffic Act has a minimum and a maximum fine for each traffic violation. The amounts vary between € 23 and € 9,296. If possible, the fine must be paid on the spot, and an official report must be made.
- Several fine amounts are stated on a fine. If you pay within 5 days after receiving the fine, you may pay the lowest amount. If you pay the ticket between 6 and 60 days after receipt, you pay a higher amount. If you only pay after 60 days, you have to pay the highest amount.
- Payment of the fine results in the case being settled, appeal is then no longer possible.
- If the ticket is disputed, appeal must be lodged within 60 days of receipt.
- In the event of a fine on license plate, for example flashes, the ticket is sent home.
- In the event of a traffic offense, the car involved can be temporarily confiscated by the police. This also applies to all traffic accidents involving an uninsured car.
Driver’s license points
- Italy has a penalty point system that also applies to foreigners. For a number of traffic violations one or more penalty points are given. When reaching a total of 20 points, the driving license is taken for 6 to 24 months.
- The offender, the driver, gets the penalty points. If the driver is not the license holder, the license holder will have to provide the personal details of the driver. Refusing is punishable and provides a new fine.
- If a driving disqualification or driving ban is imposed on the basis of this system, this only applies in Italy.
- Not paying immediately means that a deposit must be paid. The amount is half of the maximum fine that applies to the violation.
- Payment of the deposit must be noted in the official report. If not, it is assumed that the fine has been paid.
- Failure to pay the deposit will lead to seizure of the vehicle. It is also possible that the driving license is taken.
Wrong driver on the ticket
- If a ticket (with penalty points) from Italy is received at home with regard to a traffic violation committed by someone else, the name and address of the driver at the time of the violation must be specified to the relevant authority . If this does not happen, a (high) fine can be imposed for this.
- In the event of an arrest, for example after a traffic accident, the embassy can provide information about the administration of justice and further proceedings.
Traffic fines in Italy
These amounts are indications and may in practice be higher or lower, depending on the circumstances in which the traffic violation was committed.
- Up to 10 km / h: from € 41.
- From 11 to 40 km / h: from € 175.
- From 40 to 60 km / h: from € 532 and possibly a cancellation of the right to drive from 1 to 3 months.
- Exceeding speed limit more than 60 km / h: from € 829 and possibly a cancellation of the right to drive from 6 to 12 months.
Car + caravan
- The penalties are higher for exceeding the maximum speed on car (fast) roads with a car + caravan combination.
- Standstill or parking where prohibited: from € 45.
- A parking violation that endangers other road users and parking on the sidewalk, disabled parking, zebra crossing or bus stop: from € 84.
- Unauthorized parking in a zona traffico limitato (traffic restricted area): from € 78 + towing away car.
- Do not give priority: from € 175.
- Drive through red light: from € 175.
- Violation of overtaking prohibition: from € 85.
- Cross the crossed line: from € 77.
- Driving without seat belt / child restraint: from € 85.
- Use mobile phone while driving: from € 165.
- Do not use safety vest: from € 45.
- No lights during the day (outside the city area): from € 45.
- Driving and alcohol:
- for a starting driver, the permitted alcohol content is 0.0: penalty from € 155.
- From 0.5 ‰ to 0.8 ‰: from € 535 and / or 1 month imprisonment and driving disqualification of 3-6 months.
- From 0.8 ‰ to 1.5 ‰: from € 800 and / or a driving disqualification of at least 6 months and / or a prison sentence of at least 6 months.
- More than 1.5 ‰: from € 1,500 and / or a driving disqualification from 1 to 2 years and / or a prison sentence of 6 to 12 months.
- Driving and drugs: from € 1,500 and / or a driving disqualification from 1 to 2 years and / or a prison sentence of at least 6 months.
- Driving over the emergency lane: from € 422.
- Increase fines: fines for serious violations committed between 22 and 7 hours are increased by 30%. For example speeding or driving through red light.
Here you will find more information about Italy.