Home – Netherlands – Environmental Zones
Netherlands Environmental Zones
Netherlands environmental zones
What about environmental zones in the Netherlands, and in which cities do you need an environmental sticker? Below it is explained in detail!
- More and more Dutch municipalities are establishing an environmental zone.
- The rules differ per municipality. There is no national policy, but it is discussed.
Environmental zones of the Netherlands
In which cities does an environmental zone apply?
- More and more cities are establishing an environmental zone. In the environmental zone you are only welcome with your car, moped or scooter if it produces little air pollution.
- If you drive into the city with a vehicle that is too polluting, you have the chance of a hefty fine. So make sure you know with which vehicle you are welcome in which city. The current rules for environmental zones can be found at www.milieuzones.nl.
Environmental zone Amsterdam
- Access only for diesel cars with emission class 4 and higher. Since March 1, 2021, fines have been issued again after an adjustment period due to the introduction of the environmental zone for passenger cars on November 1, 2020.
- Access only for mopeds, mopeds and scooters with date of first authorization (DET) from January 1, 2011, two-stroke and four-stroke.
- View more information about the size of the environmental zone for the various vehicles, possible exemptions and possible scrapping premiums in Amsterdam.
- From 2017, you will no longer receive a parking permit if you apply for a new permit for a diesel car with emission class 3 or lower or a car on petrol or another carbon-containing fuel (LPG, CNG, ethanol, alcohol and E85) with emission class lower than 1 (Euro 0).
- The Amsterdam Climate Neutral in 2050 program proposes that all traffic on Amsterdam’s roads and over water be emission-free by 2030. See here for more information and the current state of affairs.
Environmental zone The Hague
- Since December 1, 2020, an environmental zone applies to all two-stroke mopeds and light mopeds from 2010 or older. The zone includes the entire municipality. Four-stroke mopeds or mopeds from 2010 or older must first be inspected to gain access to the environmental zone. With an inspection certificate, an exemption must then be applied for at the municipality. There are costs associated with this. More information can be found on the website of the Municipality of The Hague
- From 1 July 2021, an environmental zone will be introduced in The Hague for old passenger cars and delivery vans that run on diesel. Only diesel cars with emission class 4 or higher are allowed to enter the environmental zone. More information can be found on the website of the Municipality of The Hague.
Environmental zone Rotterdam
- In Rotterdam there are no longer any restrictions for passenger cars and delivery vans. They are allowed to enter the environmental zone regardless of age or emission class.
Environmental zone Utrecht
- Access only for diesel cars with emission class 3 and higher. From April 1, 2021, the environmental requirement will become stricter: your diesel car must have emission class 4 or higher to enter the environmental zone.
Click here for more information about the scope of the environmental zone.
- The Utrecht program opts for healthy air proposes additional future measures towards an emission-free environmental zone in 2030.
Environmental zones planned
Environmental zone Maastricht
- The municipality of Maastricht wants to introduce an environmental zone for diesel passenger cars to which only diesel passenger cars with Euro 4 / emission class 4 or higher have access. The exact size and planning of the environmental zone have yet to be determined. Enforcement will take place on the basis of license plate recognition with cameras.
Environmental zone Nijmegen
The municipality of Nijmegen is currently conducting a study into an environmental zone for diesel passenger cars that may apply throughout the municipality and not only in a part within the city of Nijmegen.
Here you will find more information about The Netherlands.
Travel information The Netherlands
Países Bajos precios del combustible
Países Bajos normas de tráfico
Países Bajos señales de tráfico
Países Bajos multas de tráfico
Países Bajos lista de control del coche
Países Bajos zonas medioambientales