Netherlands money: paying in the Netherlands
Paying in the Netherlands, how about that? Are there ATMs in the Netherlands just like in your home country? What is the price level in the Netherlands, and how about giving tips in the Netherlands after a nice dinner or drinks on a cozy terrace? On this page you will find everything about paying in the Netherlands.
- Euro (EUR)
- Bank cards are accepted almost everywhere. Credit card acceptance is slightly lower; they are accepted at almost all hotels, restaurants and petrol stations and at many shops.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- The Netherlands has sufficient ATMs, but the number is declining.
- Very few ATMs are in use at night. A large number of the ATMs in the public space have been out of service from 11 pm-7pm since December 2019 to prevent exploding. It is unknown how long this measure will remain in effect.
- Note: Withdrawing money with a bank card is not always free in the euro zone. ATM operators are allowed to charge a fee per transaction, either a fixed amount or a percentage. These costs should be indicated on the ATM or on the screen, however, only a few ATMs indicate the exact costs before you enter the PIN. Ask your bank which ATMs are free.
- Current information about ATMs in a particular locality can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator and visa.com/atmlocator. A significant number of ATMs in the Netherlands can also be found on locatiewijzer.geldmaat.nl.
- Bring a variety of payment methods with you and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
- In the Netherlands you can pay contactless with a telephone. Ask your bank for more information. Up-to-date information about paying with a mobile phone can also be found at pin.nl, support.apple.com/apple-pay and support.google.com/pay.
The Netherlands Money: price level
- BBudget overnight stay: approximately € 50.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 100.
- Simple meal: from € 15.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): Approximately € 65.
- Taxi ride (3 km): from € 10.
- Cup of coffee: approximately € 2.40.
- Beer: approximately € 2.50
Tipping in the Netherlands (money)
- Service charge is included in the hotel or restaurant bill. For a good service a tip of 5-10% is appreciated. You can also round up the amount or leave the small change.
- You can round the amount for taxi drivers.
Here you will find more information about The Netherlands.