Paying in Norway
How about paying in Norway? Are there ATMs just like us? What is the price level and what do you put down as a tip after stopping at a cozy terrace? On this page you will find everything about paying in Norway.
- Norwegian krone (NOK)
- Debit cards (both debit and credit cards) are accepted almost everywhere.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- Norway has plenty of ATMs (mini bank).
- Current information about ATMs in a particular location can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator and visa.com/atmlocator.
- Banks, post offices and exchange offices exchange money. Hotels generally trade at a less favorable rate than banks.
- Current information on banknotes and coins can be found at norges-bank.no/en.
- Bring a variety of payment methods and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
- Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
- In Norway you can pay contactless with a telephone. Ask your bank for more information. Up-to-date information about paying with a mobile phone can also be found at support.apple.com/apple-pay and support.google.com/pay.
- If there is no service charge on the hotel or restaurant bill, a 5% tip is appreciated. It is customary to round the amount.
- You can round the amount for taxi drivers.
Budget overnight: from € 50.
Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 100.
Simple meal: from € 18.
Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 80.
Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 12.
Cup of coffee: from € 3.80.
Beer: from € 8.
- Budget overnight: from € 27.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 60.
- Simple meal: from € 10.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 45.
- Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 10.
- Cup of coffee: from € 2.70.
- Beer: from € 3.50.