Norway traffic fines
You obviously do not intend to, but what if you do violate the traffic rules in Norway? What about the fine?
It can sometimes happen: you drive through red, you overtake where you are not allowed or you drive just a little too fast. An overview of the traffic fines in Norway.
- A simplified procedure with fixed fines applies to simple traffic offenses.
- Simple traffic violations can be paid directly on the spot. In any case, the fine must be paid within 3 weeks.
- After a serious violation, an official report follows and the amount of the fine is determined by the public prosecutor. Guidelines have been established for this, taking into account, among other things, the seriousness of the violation and the degree of guilt.
- In the event of an arrest for drink-driving, the vehicle may be impounded.
- Many municipalities have outsourced parking management to private companies that often transfer the collection of fines to an international collection agency, such as European Parking Collecting (EPC). Any complaints can be submitted via parkeringsklagenemnda.no.
Points driver’s license
- Norway has a penalty point system for traffic offenses. After reaching the maximum of 8 points, you will be disqualified from driving.
- If a driving disqualification or a driving ban is imposed on the basis of this system, this only applies in Norway.
- If the fine is not paid immediately, a deposit usually has to be paid
- If the deposit is not paid, the police can confiscate the vehicle
- The vehicle may be sold if payment is not made within two months of the final decision.
- In case of a ticket on license plate, for example flashes, the license plate holder is liable and responsible for paying the fine. However, if he can indicate who else was the driver at the time of the violation, he will not have to pay the fine and the driver will be fined.
- In the event of an arrest, for example after a traffic accident, the embassy can provide information about the case law and further course of affairs.
- The amounts stated are indications and may in practice be higher or lower, depending on the circumstances under which the traffic violation was committed.
- Exceeding speed from 20 km/h: €460.
- Exceeding speed from 50 km/h: € 1,000.
- Driving through a red light: €670.
- Parking violation: From €30.
- Driving without a seat belt: From €170.
- Use cell phone while driving: €170.
- Blood alcohol level from 0.2‰: from € 490.
Here you will find more information about Norway.