Paying in Poland
Paying in Poland, how about that? Are there ATMs in Poland just like in your home country? What is the price level in Poland, and how about giving tips in Poland after a nice dinner or drinks on a cozy terrace? On this page you will find everything about paying in Poland.
- Zloty (PLN)
- Debit cards (both debit and credit cards) are accepted almost everywhere.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- Poland has plenty of ATMs; the costs may differ per ATM operator, in particular the Pekao SA bank charges a higher rate.
- Current information about ATMs in a particular location can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator and visa.com/atmlocator.
- Banks, post offices and exchange offices exchange money. Hotels generally trade at a less favorable rate than banks.
- Bring a variety of payment methods with you and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
- Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
- In Poland you can pay contactless with a telephone. Ask your bank for more information. Up-to-date information about paying with a mobile phone can also be found support.apple.com/apple-pay and support.google.com/pay.
- In time, Poland will switch to the euro. Effective date still unknown.
- Service charge is sometimes included in the restaurant or hotel bill. If not, a tip of 10% is customary. For a good service you can round the amount or leave the small change.
- With taxi drivers you can round the amount or give a tip of 10% for a good service.
- Budget overnight: from € 20.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 35.
- Simple meal: from € 6.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 24.
- Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 4.
- Cup of coffee: from € 1.50.
- Beer: from € 1.70.
Here you will find more information about Poland.