- Poland has three toll roads for vehicles in classes 1 and 2: the A1, A2 and A4.
- For heavy vehicles or combinations with a permitted maximum mass of more than 3500 kg, a toll must be paid on several routes (including non-motorways). This can only be done electronically.
- Class 1: motorcycles and two-axle vehicles (passenger cars, vans, campers).
- Class 2: motorcycles and two-axle vehicles (passenger cars, vans, campers) with a trailer, and two-axle vehicles with at least one axle fitted with double wheels.
- Class 3: two-axle vehicles with at least one axle with double wheels and a trailer, and three-axle vehicles.
- Class 4: three-axle vehicles with a trailer and vehicles with more than four axles.
- Class 5: extraordinarily large vehicles.
The toll road companies use different vehicle classifications:
- A1 (Gdańsk – Toruń): a1.com.pl/en/payment/payments.
- A2 (Świecko – Konin): autostrada-a2.pl/payments.
- A2 (Konin – Stryków) and A4 (Wrocław – Sośnica near Gliwice): etoll.gov.pl/en/light-vehicles/payments/rates.
- A4 (Katowice – Kraków): autostrada-a4.com.pl/en/tolls/tolls-and-methods-of-payment.
- Light vehicles are vehicles or combinations up to 3500 kg.
- Heavy vehicles are vehicles or combinations of more than 3500 kg.
- Cash payment is possible in złoty’s (PLN), in euros (only with notes; change in złoty’s)
- Payment with credit card is also possible
- Electronic payment for light vehicles (vehicles and combinations up to and including 3500 kg) differs per toll road, see:
- A1 (Gdańsk – Toruń): AmberGo, a1.com.pl/en/ambergo-2.
- A2 (Świecko – Konin): as far as we know, electronic payment is not possible on this route, autostrada-a2.pl/payments.
- A2 (Konin – Stryków) and A4 (Wrocław – Sośnica near Gliwice): e-Toll, etoll.gov.pl/en/light-vehicles and iota-tax.org/system/files/news_secured/etoll_information_material.pdf.
- Please note: Electronic payment with viaAUTO from viaToll is no longer possible on these routes since 1 October 2021. As of December 1, 2021, you can pay with an e-ticket purchased in advance or with the e-TOLL PL application.
- A4 (Katowice – Kraków): A4Go, autostrada-a4.com.pl/en/tolls/a4go-electronic-toll-collection.
- Electronic toll payment with e-Toll is mandatory for all vehicles and combinations with a permitted maximum mass (which can be found on the registration certificate) of more than 3500 kg. This also applies to heavy motorhomes and to combinations of a passenger car and caravan heavier than 3500 kg.
- For more information, see etoll.gov.pl/en/heavy-vehicles and for registration options, see etoll.gov.pl/en/heavy-vehicles/registration-in-e-toll/how-to-register-for-e-toll.
- A list of the toll routes can be found at etoll.gov.pl/en/heavy-vehicles/e-toll-system/list-of-toll-sections.
- Electronic payment with the viaBOX toll badge from viaToll is no longer possible since 1 October 2021. Those who used a viaBOX can deregister and receive the deposit back until September 30, 2022, see etoll.gov.pl/en/heavy-vehicles/registration-in-e-toll/how-to-deregister-from-viatoll.
- Note: If you do not pay toll, you risk a large fine.
- Rates in złoty’s (10 złoty’s is approximately € 2.20), updated December 2020.
- Current rates, all routes and vehicle classes can be found using the toll calculators on the sites of the road authorities.
A1 (Gdańsk Rusocin – Toruń Nowa Wies)
Class 1: 30
Class 2: 30
Road authority: a1.com.pl/en
A2 (Świecko – Novy Tomyśl – Poznań – Wrzesnia – Konin)
Class 1: 87
Class 2: 87
Road authority: autostrada-a2.pl
A2 (Konin – Stryków)
Class 1: 5
Class 2: 10
Road authority: etoll.gov.pl
A4 (Bielany Wrocławskie (at Wrocław) – Sośnica (at Gliwice))
Class 1: 9
Class 2: 17
Road authority: etoll.gov.pl
A4 (Katowice – Kraków)
Class 1: (A) 24
Class 2: 40
Road authority: autostrada-a4.com.pl
A: A 50% discount applies to motorcycles on the A4.
Here you will find more information about Poland.