- Poland has three toll roads for vehicles in classes 1 and 2: the A1, A2 and A4.
- For heavy vehicles or combinations with a permitted maximum mass of more than 3500 kg, a toll must be paid on several routes (including non-motorways). This can only be done electronically.
- Class 1: motorcycles and two-axle vehicles (passenger cars, vans, campers).
- Class 2: motorcycles and two-axle vehicles (passenger cars, vans, campers) with a trailer, and two-axle vehicles with at least one axle fitted with double wheels.
- Class 3: two-axle vehicles with at least one axle with double wheels and a trailer, and three-axle vehicles.
- Class 4: three-axle vehicles with a trailer and vehicles with more than four axles.
- Class 5: extraordinarily large vehicles.
- Light vehicles are vehicles or combinations up to 3500 kg.
- Heavy vehicles are vehicles or combinations of more than 3500 kg.
- Cash payment is possible in złoty’s (PLN) and in euros (only with notes; change in złoty’s).
- Payable electronically with a toll badge is only possible for light vehicles (vehicles and combinations up to and including 3500 kg) on the motorways of the GDDKiA (see gddkia.gov.pl/en/1126/motorway-tolls). The system is called viaAUTO, see viatoll.pl/en/cars/viatoll-system/viaauto/what-is-it. The rates that then apply are PLN 0.05 / km for motorcycles and PLN 0.10 / km for vehicles and combinations up to 3500 kg. Use of this toll badge is not mandatory, not even for registered vehicles: you can also pay in cash or use a bank card or credit card, see viatoll.pl/en/cars/viatoll-system/vehicles-subject-to-compulsory-electronic-toll- settlement.
- More information: viatoll.pl/en/home and about payment options: viatoll.pl/en/cars-manual-toll/payments-and-toll-rates/accepted-forms-of-payment and about distances and rates via viatoll.pl/en/cars-manual-toll/manual-system/toll-rates.
- A toll badge is mandatory for all vehicles and combinations with a permissible maximum mass (which can be found on the vehicle registration certificate) of more than 3500 kg. This also applies to heavy campers and to combinations of a passenger car and caravan heavier than 3500 kg.
- The toll badge is called viaBOX and is available at a large number of contact points and distribution points in Poland. See for the addresses:
- Contact points: viatoll.pl/en/trucks/customer-service/customer-service-facilities/contact-points.
- Distribution points: viatoll.pl/en/trucks/customer-service/customer-service-facilities/distribution-points.
- Distribution points at the Polish border: viatoll.pl/en/trucks/customer-service/customer-service-facilities/border-distribution-points.
- Registration of the vehicle is necessary to obtain the viaBOX. Registration is possible at a contact or distribution point or online via reg.viatoll.pl/step1.aspx. The required documents are listed here: viatoll.pl/en/trucks/customer-service/documents/documents-required-at-vehicle-registration-pre-pay-account.
- The viaBOX can also be used for a vehicle (maximum 3500 kg) without a trailer or caravan. The viaBOX must be suitable for this. Please indicate this when registering. The viaBOX then has two modes for driving with a trailer (high rate) and without a trailer (low rate).
- Registration is free of charge. The deposit for the use of the viaBOX is PLN 120 (approximately € 30). The deposit will be refunded when the viaBOX is returned. You can only hand in at a contact or distribution point in Poland.
- A complete overview of the toll routes can be found at viatoll.pl/en/trucks/map.
- The rates vary per route and also depend on the EU emission class (this is stated on the registration certificate). The correct amount can be calculated via the toll calculator on viatoll.pl/en/trucks/customer-service/documents/documents-required-at-vehicle-registration-pre-pay-account (click on ‘calculator’ at the top of the bar or on ‘toll calculator’ at the bottom of the text).
- Please note: anyone who does not use the viaBOX where it is mandatory risks a fine of approximately € 750.
- Rates in złoty’s (10 złoty’s is approximately € 2.20), updated December 2020.
- Current rates, all routes and vehicle classes can be found using the toll calculators on the sites of the road authorities.
A1 (Gdańsk Rusocin – Toruń Nowa Wies)
Class 1: 30
Class 2: 71
Road authority: a1.com.pl/en
A2 (Świecko – Novy Tomyśl – Poznań – Wrzesnia – Konin)
Class 1: 84
Class 2: 139
Road authority: autostrada-a2.pl
A4 (Katowice – Kraków)
Class 1: (A) 24
Class 2: 40
Road authority: autostrada-a4.com.pl
A: A 50% discount applies to motorcycles on the A4.
Here you will find more information about Poland.