Portugal checklist car: what is mandatory in the car in Portugal?
If you go on holiday to Portugal by car please keep in mind that you have to take a number of items with you. We list the mandatory products for you. Not only for cars but also for drivers of a motorcycle and moped.
Mandatory in the car: checklist Portugal
Required in the car
- Warning triangle – It is mandatory to have a warning triangle in the car.
- Use of a warning triangle in the event of a breakdown or an accident is only mandatory if your car is completely or partially stationary in the lane and is not clearly visible at a distance of at least 100 m (even at night you may not need to place a triangle with good street lighting).
- Place the warning triangle at least 30 m behind your car and in such a way that it can be seen from other traffic at a distance of at least 100 m.
- Safety vest – It is mandatory to bring a reflective safety vest and it is mandatory to wear a safety vest in the event of a breakdown or an accident.
- The safety vest must be stored in an easily accessible place (not in the trunk).
- In Europe, a reflective vest must comply with the EN 20471: 2013 standard (fluorescent yellow, orange or red and provided with retro-reflective strips).
- The above-mentioned safety equipment is only mandatory in vehicles with a Portuguese registration number, but we advise drivers to follow the local rules for safety reasons and to avoid a possible discussion with the police on the spot.
- Note: When renting a car, always check that the mandatory equipment (warning triangle and safety vest and if necessary a fire extinguisher is present and provide safety vests for all passengers.
Mandatory on the bike
- A warning triangle and a safety vest are not mandatory for motorcyclists.
- Spare glasses – It is not mandatory to bring spare glasses with you in Portugal, but we advise drivers with a driving license stating that they wear glasses or contact lenses (restriction code 01) to bring a spare pair of glasses to avoid any discussion with the police. on the spot.
Here you will find more information about Portugal.