Portugal Getting Around
On this page you will find everything about renting a car in Portugal, its airports and ferries.
Car rental in Portugal
- Cars can be rented at airports and international stations and in major cities.
Book a rental car
- It is recommended to book a rental car in advance and on time, especially in the high season.
- It can also be cheaper to book before the trip.
- It is also possible to rent an all-inclusive car in Portugal through Sunny Cars at https://fandango.nl
- Often the driver must have held the driver’s license for at least 1 or 2 years, depending on the type of car.
- The driver must usually be at least 21 years of age.
- Sometimes the age limit is lower or higher depending on the rental company and type of car.
- Drivers under the age of 25 often have to pay a young driver surcharge.
- Sometimes the insurance is more expensive for young drivers.
- Keep in mind that there may be a maximum age of, for example, 80 years.
- For the major international rental companies, drivers can only rent a car with a credit card in the name of the main driver and that cash is rarely accepted as a deposit.
- Debit cards (debit cards, bank cards), prepaid cards, rechargeable or virtual credit cards or other payment cards on which the numbers and letters are not stamped (tactile embossing) are usually not accepted.
- With small local rental companies it is often possible to rent a car without a credit card.
Electronic toll collection
- On a number of highways (without toll booths) the toll can only be paid electronically. The routes are announced with the designation Electronic toll only or Portagem electronics near the driveway. A number of car rental companies have equipped their cars with a box for registering the tolls, which are then settled with the customer. Ask the landlord for information in advance.
- There are no direct ferry services from Portugal to the Azores or Madeira.
- There is a regular ferry service between the islands of the Azores.
- The Porto Santo shipping company provides a ferry connection between Funchal (Madeira) and the island of Porto Santo in high season.
- TAP: flytap.com
- In case of cancellation, overbooking, delay or luggage problems, you can rely on European Regulation 261/2004.