Paying in Portugal
Paying in Portugal, how about that? Are there ATMs in Portugal just like in your home country? What is the price level in Portugal, and how about giving tips in Portugal after a nice dinner or drinks on a cozy terrace? On this page you will find everything about paying in Portugal.
- Euro (EUR)
- Debit cards (both debit and credit cards) are accepted almost everywhere.
- Banks and credit companies provide information about the possibilities and costs of debit cards.
- Portugal has plenty of ATMs (caixa eletrônico).
- Note: Withdrawing money with a bank card is not always free in the euro zone. ATM operators are allowed to charge a fee per transaction, either a fixed amount or a percentage. These costs should be indicated on the ATM or on the screen, however, only a few ATMs indicate the exact costs before you enter the PIN. As far as we know, ATMs in Portugal with the inscription MB Multibanco are free. Ask your bank which ATMs are free.
- Current information about ATMs in a particular locality can be found at, among others, mastercard.com/atmlocator and visa.com/atmlocator.
- Bring a variety of payment methods with you and keep them separately: a bank card, a credit card and cash.
- Using a bank card is usually cheaper than using a credit card. The costs differ per bank, per bank card and per credit card. If a fixed amount is charged per transaction, frequent use of a debit card for small amounts is not recommended.
- There is usually a spending limit per day or per week for bank cards. The bank can increase the limit on request. Arrange this before you travel. With a credit card, you can increase the spending limit by transferring an extra amount to the credit card account or by requesting a higher credit from the bank or credit card company.
- Have your debit card blocked immediately in case of loss or theft.
- In Portugal you can pay contactless with some phones. Ask your bank for more information.
- Budget overnight: from € 20.
- Mid-range overnight stay: approximately € 60.
- Simple meal: from € 9.
- Dinner 3 courses (2 pers.): From € 35.
- Taxi ride (approx. 3 km): from € 5.
- Cup of coffee: from € 1.
- Beer: from € 2.
- Service charge is usually included in the restaurant or hotel bill. If not, a tip of ten to fifteen percent is customary. For a good service you can round the amount or leave the small change. You can round the amount for taxi drivers.