Spain checklist car – what is mandatory in the car in Spain?
If you go on holiday to Spain by car keep in mind that you have to take a number of items with you. We list the mandatory products for you. Not only for cars but also for drivers of a motorcycle.
Mandatory in the car in Spain
- Warning triangle – Only cars with a Spanish license plate must have two warning triangles. A warning triangle must be present in foreign vehicles. To be sure it’s best to take two warning triangles with you to prevent any discussion with the police. In the event of a breakdown or an accident outside built-up areas, the warning triangle must be placed approximately 50 m behind the vehicle. A possible second warning triangle must be placed approximately 50 m in front of the vehicle.
- Safety vest – The driver and passengers are required to wear a safety vest in the event of a breakdown or an accident outside the built-up area. Within Europe, safety vests must comply with the EN471 standard (fluorescent yellow, orange or red and provided with retro-reflecting strips).
- Spare tire – It is mandatory to have a spare tire (and the correct equipment to change a tire) or a tire repair kit in the car. (However, this is not necessary if the car is running on run-flat tires.)
- A first aid kit, fire extinguisher and spare lamps are not required.
- Please note: when renting a car, always check that the mandatory equipment (two warning triangles and a spare tire or tire repair kit) is present and provide safety vests for all occupants. For a rental car with a Spanish license plate, an anti-theft system is also part of the mandatory safety equipment.
Mandatory on the motorcycle
- Safety vest – The driver and any passenger are required to wear a light, reflector or safety vest in the event of a breakdown or accident outside the built-up area, at night and in poor visibility.
- Anti-theft system – For (rental) cars and motorcycles with a Spanish license plate an anti-theft system is mandatory.
- Spare glasses – Taking spare glasses in Spain is not compulsory, but it is advised that drivers with a driving license stating that they wear glasses or contact lenses (restriction code 01), to take spare glasses with them to discuss a possible discussion with the police on the spot.
Here you will find more information about Spain.