Spain Environmental Zones
What about environmental zones in Spain, and in which cities do you need an environmental sticker? Below it is explained in detail!
Environmental zones Spain
- Spain has also introduced environmental zones in line with other European countries.
- Madrid and Barcelona have an environmental zone (zona de bajas emisiones; low-emission zone) that is only accessible for vehicles with a valid environmental sticker.
APR: zone only for permit holders
- Environmental zones are being set up in some Spanish cities to improve air quality and create more space for local residents. These car-free zones are indicated by signs with the inscription Area de prioridad residencial (APR, zone only accessible to permit holders).
- Running into an APR can result in hefty fines and it is important to pay close attention to the signs and not to ignore them. Cameras check.
- When booking a hotel room within an APR, it is advisable to contact the hotel owner in advance to ask if an exemption has been requested.
- Disabled people must comply with strict, locally determined rules to be allowed to enter an APR. More information is available from the local authorities.
- There are four environmental stickers (distintivos ambientales):
- Blue – 0: no emissions.
- Green-blue – eco: hybrid and gas-powered vehicles that meet the criteria of the green sticker.
- Green – C: petrol cars registered in 2006 or later; diesel cars registered in 2014 or later; vehicles with more than 8 seats and heavy vehicles, both gasoline and diesel, registered in 2014 or later. Petrol vehicles must comply with Euro standard 4, 5 or 6 and diesel vehicles with Euro standard 6.
- Yellow – B: petrol cars registered in 2000-2013; diesel cars registered in 2006-2013; vehicles with more than 8 seats and heavy vehicles, both petrol and diesel, registered in 2005-2013. Gasoline vehicles must comply with Euro standard 3 Euro 3 standard and diesel vehicles with Euro standard 4 or 5.
- Madrid has a permanent environmental zone that covers almost the entire center and the M40. The zone bears the name Madrid Central.
- Only vehicles belonging to residents and vehicles with a valid blue or green-blue environmental sticker may drive in the permanent environmental zone. With a green-blue sticker, the parking time is limited to 2 hours.
- The zone is indicated by signs with the inscription Atención – Trafico Restringido.
- For more information about Madrid’s environmental zone, see madrid.es (search for Madrid Central – Zona de Bajas Emisiones, for a ticket click on ¿Cuál es el perímetro?).
- Barcelona and its surroundings have a temporary environmental zone that is set in the event of extreme air pollution.
- If the environmental zone is set, you can only enter it from Monday to Friday from 7 am to 8 pm with a valid environmental sticker.
- Extensive and up-to-date information on Barcelona’s environmental zone can be found at ajuntament.barcelona.cat/qualitataire/en/low-emission-zone (Catalan, English and Spanish).