Sweden being there
You are on vacation in Sweden. Delicious! Do you have suitable clothes with you and which plugs can you use? Here you will find practical information on site.
Facts and numbers
- Kingdom of Sweden / Konungariket Sverige
- Swede (m), Swedish (f)
- Parliamentary Monarchy
- Sweden is divided into 21 provinces.
- Sweden has been a member of the European Union since 1995.
- 2019: 10 million
- 449,964 km² (11 times the Netherlands)
Income per inhabitant per year
- 2018: $ 46,800 (NL: $ 50,200)
Average life expectancy
- 2018: 82.7 years (NL: 82.1 years)
- Swedish krona (SEK)
Country code license plate
- Medical care is of a high standard in Sweden.
- Travelers are advised to take out good travel insurance. Please note that cash payment may be required for the provision of medical care.
- In case of hospitalization or when specialist medical care is required, travelers should contact their insurance company directly.
- In the event of an emergency, for example when hospitalized abroad, you can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The contact center of this ministry is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on telephone number +31 247 247 247, also from abroad. The ministry also provides information via the Travel app Foreign Affairs.
- For information and possible support, you can also contact one of your contry’s local representations in Sweden.
European health insurance card (EHIC)
- The European health insurance card or EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) entitles you to essential medical care in the event of illness or an accident during a temporary stay in Sweden. If you show your EHIC, healthcare providers know that you are insured and where they can declare the healthcare costs. It is often not necessary to advance healthcare costs yourself.
- The personal EHIC can usually be found on the back of your health insurer’s health card or in your health insurer’s app. Consult your health insurer’s website for more information about the EHIC.
- Take plenty of special medicines with you (in the original packaging) or ask the doctor for a prescription.
- It is advisable to bring your own travel pharmacy with regular medicines.
- Travelers who bring medicines prescribed by a doctor or specialist may be required to carry a medical certificate. This applies in any case to medicines that fall under the Opium Act (such as certain sleeping aids, ADHD drugs and strong painkillers).
- Request the statement in time.
- Watch out for ticks when hiking or camping in the countryside, as they can transmit Lyme disease.
- Tick-borne encephalitis also occurs in Sweden. Encephalitis is an inflammation of the brain caused by a virus that can be transmitted by ticks. From April to November the ticks are most active and the risk of contracting this disease is greatest.
- Protect yourself from ticks!
- The tap water is safe to drink.
- Encephalitis (see Ticks) can rarely be transmitted through raw milk from cows, sheep or goats or products made from raw milk (such as some cheeses).
08-06-2020 – 19-08-2020
26-10-2020 – 30-10-2020
21-12-2020 – 08-01-2021
01-02-2021 – 26-02-2021
29-03-2021 – 09-04-2021
14-06-2021 – 13-08-2021
- The dates indicate the first and last day of the staggered holiday periods.
- The summer vacation lasts about ten weeks.
- 230 volts
- Outlets have two round holes and can be grounded or ungrounded.
- You do not need an adapter or world plug.
Here you will find more information about Sweden.