Sweden traffic fines
You obviously do not intend to, but what if you do violate the traffic rules in Sweden? What about the fine?
The amounts are indications and may in practice be higher or lower, depending on the circumstances under which the traffic violation was committed.
- Simple traffic violations can be paid for immediately, on the spot. Credit cards are not accepted.
- However, it is common to pay fines by bank transfer. The payment term is 2 to 3 weeks.
- After a serious violation or when a violation is disputed, an official report will be drawn up and the case will be further dealt with by the public prosecutor.
- Parking fines can also be issued by parking attendants and car park managers.
- When an appeal is lodged against a parking fine, the fine must be paid first.
Points driver’s license
- Sweden does not have a penalty point system for traffic offenses.
- The driver of the vehicle is liable and responsible for paying the fine. The license plate holder is not obliged to identify the driver and is not punishable if he fails to do so.
- The license plate holder is liable for parking fines.
- Received a fine at home? Always state the payment reference.
Fines imposed by a private car park manager are often transferred to an international debt collection agency.
- In the event of an arrest, for example after a traffic accident, the embassy can provide information about the case law and further course of events.
- The amounts stated are indications and may in practice be higher or lower, depending on the circumstances under which the traffic violation was committed.
At permissible maximum speed up to 50 km / h
- Exceeding up to 10 km / h: from SEK 2,000.
- Exceedance from 11 to 15 km / h: from SEK 2,400.
- Exceeding 16 to 20 km / h: from SEK 2,800.
- Exceedance from 21 to 25 km / h: from SEK 3,200.
- Exceedance from 26 to 30 km / h: from SEK 3,600.
- Exceeded from 31 to 40 km / h: from SEK 4,000
- Exceeding 41 km / h: lawsuit.
At maximum speed 50 km / h or higher
- Exceeding up to 10 km / h: from SEK 1,500.
- Exceeding 11 to 15 km / h: from SEK 2,000.
- Exceeding 16 to 20 km / h: from SEK 2,400.
- Exceedance from 21 to 25 km / h: from SEK 2,800.
- Exceedance from 26 to 30 km / h: from SEK 3,200.
- Exceeded from 31 to 40 km / h: from SEK 3,600.
- Exceedance from 41 to 50 km / h: from SEK 4,000.
- Exceeding more than 50 km / h: lawsuit.
Driving through a red light
From SEK 2,500.
Violation of overtaking ban
From SEK 2,500.
Within the built-up area: from SEK 400.
Outside the built-up area: from SEK 200.
Not giving way
From SEK 2,000.
Driving without a seat belt
From SEK 1,500.
Children not in child seat or without seat belt
From SEK 2,500.
No lighting during the day
From SEK 500.
Driving under the influence
- A fine of more than 0.2 ‰ will be imposed: depending on the percentage, points (40-100) are determined. This number of points is multiplied by an (income-related) amount of approximately SEK 50-1000.
More than 1.0 ‰: lawsuit, at least 1 month in prison and a driving disqualification.
Driving at night without lighting
From SEK 1,200.
Driving in restricted traffic area
Enter without paying ‘congestion tax’
Driving without winter tires
From December 1 to April 1: from SEK 1,200.
Here you will find more information about Sweden.